Youth researcher killed in military bombing in Mindoro, NDF calls for humanitarian corridor

๐Ÿ“ท: Jerlyn Rose Doydora |PLM College of Education Student Council FB

 

A youth researcher from Manila, Jerlyn Rose Doydora, was killed on New Yearโ€™s Day following aerial bombardment by the Philippine Armyโ€™s 203rd Infantry Brigade in Abra de Ilog, Occidental Mindoro, according to the National Democratic Front-Mindoro (NDF)-Mindoro.

The NDF said the military launched airstrikes from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on January 1, hours after combined forces of the 1st and 76th Infantry Battalions and the 5th Scout Ranger Battalion attempted an attack against a New Peopleโ€™s Army (NPA) unit in Sitio Mamara, Barangay Cabacao.

The group described the operation as โ€œindiscriminate bombingโ€ that endangered civilians celebrating the New Year.

Doydora, who joined other youth volunteers in Mindoro to conduct interviews and live among farmers and indigenous communities, reportedly suffered a fatal attack during the bombardment.

Another youth was separated during the retreat and remains missing.

The NDF said the NPA unit had accepted the groupโ€™s request to observe and conduct research, and had been under ceasefire when the military assault occurred.

โ€œTo ensure her family can recover her remains, the unit decided to lay her body in the area where she died,โ€ the statement read.

The NDF extended condolences to Doydoraโ€™s family and called for the immediate suspension of AFP-PNP operations to allow retrieval of her remains.

It urged human rights advocates and civic groups to press for a humanitarian corridor and to investigate the impact of the three-hour bombing on affected communities.

โ€œJerlyn Rose Doydora is a martyr of her generation, a youth who sought genuine solutions to the peopleโ€™s suffering,โ€ the NDF said, adding that her death highlights the risks faced by civilians amid intensified counterinsurgency operations in Mindoro. (RRN)